Formed in 1950, at the same meeting where U.S. Senator George D. Aiken coined the term "Northeast Kingdom" to describe Caledonia, Essex and Orleans counties, the Northeastern Vermont Development Association has served the people, municipalities and businesses of this region as both the Regional Planning Commission and Regional Development Corporation.
As the Regional Planning Commission, NVDA assists municipalities, organizations, committees and individuals with a wide variety of planning and technical services. From assisting municipalities with regulatory options, to administering grants, creating maps, and implementing transportation and natural resource plans, NVDA is actively working with land use issues in the region.
As the Regional Development Corporation, NVDA works on infrastructure improvements, assists companies relocating to the area, helps existing businesses to grow, and administers revolving loan funds. NVDA also fosters key partnerships with the Small Business Development Center, the Northeast Kingdom Collaborative, the Northeast Kingdom Travel and Tourism Association, and the various Chambers of Commerce in the region.
"The purpose of the Association shall be to develop and promote through study, planning and publicity, the recreational, agricultural, industrial, natural and human resources of the region and to work for the economic and social betterment of the region." >> Download a pdf file.
STATE AND FEDERAL FUNDING SOURCES
NVDA is supported by an annual appropriation from member towns, a share of the state’s property transfer tax fund, and by private, state and federal grants:
- Economic Development Administration – U.S. Department of Commerce
- USDA Rural Development – U.S. Department of Agriculture
- VT Agency of Commerce and Community Development
- VT Department of Employment and Training
- VT Department of Environmental Conservation – U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- VT Department of Environmental Conservation – Water Quality Division
- VT Small Business Development Center – U.S. Small Business Administration
- VT Agency of Transportation – U.S. Department of Transportation